Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hero Worship

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my dad over the course of the last year. I grew up listening to the stories he would tell at family gatherings about his time spent in the military and there are many stories I'd like to share. That's part of the reason for creating this blog. It's a project I've long thought of starting, but just never quite seemed to get there. My dad will be 85 years old on August 7. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in November 2007 and his illness is beginning to take its toll. It's time to begin.

While this blog is supposed to be about my father, there is no way to separate his stories without also talking about my mom, Theresa Desmarais. I get extremely emotional when I think about my parents. They weren't perfect, but doggone, they were good parents.

As a little girl, I thought my daddy was the most wonderful man ever. He looked so handsome in his military uniforms, whether they be combat fatigues or dress blues. He was a soldier in a time when being a soldier was held in high regard and was looked upon with honor and respect. He was my hero.

He still is.

-jdm

No comments: